If you are looking for the best Micron filter for well water that will get rid of all the sediments present in the water, you need to first know the impurities present.
The right filter will help you protect your plumbing system from clogging and at the same time provide you with pure water.
Below is a guide that will help you narrow down and settle on the best filter that suits your budget and meets your family needs
iSpring WSP50 Reusable Whole House Spin Down Sediment Water Filter
- Rated at 50 micron. Ideal frontier water filter protecting your entire plumbing system from sediment, rust, dirt, sand, and large particles. NOTE: Screens with 50 or 100 microns may be clogged very soon for water with high sediment content. Contact us for screen replacement in different size
- Flushable and reusable takes the considerable workload off finer filters that follow behind it; unlike traditional sediment filters, regular flushing keeps the WSP performance in control
- Solid lead-free brass machine head with stainless steel mesh filter screen that usually lasts 1 - 2 years
With this filter, you will be in a position to eliminate most of the impurities in your water, including sediments, rust, dust, and other particles that may be present in the well.
The high performance that the filter guarantees allow you to have peace of mind by giving you access to pure water for the whole house. Furthermore, by placing this filter at the entry of your main supply line, the high pressure will protect the plumbing system from clogging and eventual breakdown.
The filter is durable enough to serve you for up to 2 years. This is made possible by the brass material used to make the machine head.
It’s easy to install this filter, and you can even do it on your own. With regular flushing, the filter will hardly let you down in keeping your household supplied with pure water all through.
Something else, this filter is easy to maintain by constantly flushing it, and in case you notice minimal clogging, you can open the stainless steel cartridge and simply clean the particles with a brush. You can also clean the filter by soaking it in vinegar.
The frequency of cleaning the filter will be influenced by the number of sediments and the water’s impure particles.
You don’t have to worry about the filter being affected by the high pressure as the connectors on both edges can handle a high flow rate.
- Easy to clean
- High performance
- High flow rate
- Removes sand preventing clogging
- Easy to install
- Doesn’t lower TDS
Culligan HF-360A Whole Standard Duty Filter
- Whole house water filtration system with 3/4" inlet/outlet connectors
- Perfect for residential homes, helps protect appliances and pluming from sediment and scale
- Features built-in shut-off valve, clear housing unit that allows monitoring of cartridge use
This filtration system guarantees you get pure water free from sediments, dust, and silt.
Made with clear housing, it becomes easier for you to monitor as the cartridge wears out and schedule a timely replacement.
This sediment filter certified by WQA against the NSF/ANSI standards ensures that it performs optimally, supplying your household with pure water.
Additionally, the Culligan sediment filter helps protect your plumbing system and all the appliances by removing large particles that could clog your system and lead to eventual breakdown.
The 3/4″ inlet and outlet connectors boost your water supply flow rate, which ensures that your household is supplied with high-quality at all times.
Equipped with a 5 micron, this sediment filter can eliminate sediments and remove the chlorine content in your water, giving it a great taste.
The filter which is carbon wrapped helps prevent impurities through your plumbing system and your appliances.
Maintaining the Culligan sediment filter is easy as it is fitted with a valve, making it easy to replace the cartridge filter with minimal water loss.
Also, the sediment filter housing wrench holds the housing in place, prevents leakage and wastage. It also makes the replacement task easy.
- Shut-off valve makes replacement easy
- High flow rate and performance
- Removes many types of contaminants
- It has a detachable filter timer
- Easy to clean
- Require regular changing of the filter cartridge
iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
- Protect Your Family and Household Appliance from Sediment, Chlorine, and More: Say goodbye to smelly, bad tasting water! Our system removes up to 99% of chlorine from water as well as up to 95% of sediment, rust, pesticides, herbicides, industrial solvents, VOCs, and various other contaminants. This system is installed at the main water supply line in order to treat all the water in your home.
- DIY Installation and Maintenance: Refer to our manual and our helpful YouTube videos for easy DIY installation. With 1” NPT inlet / outlet and Big Blue 20” x 4.5” filter cartridges, the system has minimum impact on water flow (up to 15 GPM) and requires minimum maintenance.
- Top-Notch Quality: The first stage high capacity polypropylene sediment filter is able to achieve filtration down to 5 microns. The second and third stage CTO Carbon Block filters are made of high quality coconut shell carbon for maximum filtration efficiency and filter life. Both are tested by an independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI standards. The system has a capacity of 100,000 gallons of water, enough to supply a family of four with clean water for a full year.
With the Ispring, you will have access to pure water throughout, thanks to the high flow rate enabled by the 1″ diameter inlet and outlet.
Being a 3-stage filtration system, you are guaranteed that all the impurities present in your well are removed. This protects your plumbing system and all your appliances by preventing build-up and rusting.
By installing this sediment filter for well water at the entry point of your main supply line, you are assured of great-tasting water without foul odor on every tap in your home. This is because it has the capacity to remove up to 98% of the chlorine content in your well.
This filter’s first stage handles the large particle components such as sand and silt down to 5 microns with great efficiency. The second and third stage comprises activated carbon that removes chlorine and other sediments with up to 98% efficiency.
With the capacity of 15GPM or 100,000 gallons of water per year, this sediment filter keeps your family supplied with purified water all year round. Additionally, the activated carbon filters increase the filter’s life by removing all the sediments in the second and third stages of the filtration process.
It’s easy to maintain this filter, given that it requires replacement once per year, which means the maintenance cost is low.
This Ispring filter system is certified by a reputable third party against the NSF/ANSI standards, and this should give you peace of mind as it guarantees quality performance.
- Removes many types of contaminants
- Great tasting water
- Easy maintenance
- High capacity of 15 GPM
- It does not reduce TDS
Rusco/Vu-Flow 1″ 100 Mesh PVC Spin Down Sediment Filter
- Port size: 1” slip
- Max pressure: 150 PSI
- Flow capacity: 1-25 GPM
This spin-down sediment filter has a high performance as it can handle up to 25 gallons of water per minute. This keeps you supplied with pure water at all times.
It can handle a high pressure of up to 150 PSI. This guarantees you high performance in sediment removal.
With the 1″ port, you will have access to pure water throughout the life of this sediment filter. Further, this ensures that the incoming pressure flow of water on your mainline is not reduced.
Given that this filtration system is certified to meet the NSF and FDA standards, you are assured of the high-performance filter alleges.
The 100 mesh filter component helps trap different types of sediment particles present in your well water. This makes this filter a favorite for most people in areas where their wells contain mostly large particles of sediments.
By placing this sediment filter at the entry point of your main water line, you are securing your plumbing system and appliances from clogging and eventual breakdown. Further, your appliances will have a longer life.
With the clear housing on this sediment filter, it’s easy to observe and control its performance without having to open it up needlessly.
Additionally, with prompt maintenance and timely replacement of screens, it will serve you for a long time.
Installing and maintaining this unit is easy and requires minimal plumbing skills. It’s something you can do yourself without incurring the cost of a professional plumber. Check out this sediment filter regularly, clean it thoroughly, and it will serve you for a long time.
- Can handle high water pressure
- High capacity of 25 GPM
- Easy to install and maintain
- No pressure drop on incoming water
- Clear housing that allows you to plan on replacement in good time.
Culligan WH-HD200-C Whole House Heavy Duty Water Filtration System
- Whole house water filtration system with 1" stainless steel reinforced inlet/outlet connectors
- Perfect for residential homes, helps protect appliances and pluming from sediment and scale
- Features bypass shut off valve, integrated bracket design and battery operated filter change timer
This heavy-duty water filter has the capacity to keep you supplied with pure water all year round due to its high flow rate.
The wide diameter inlet and outlet connectors are reinforced with stainless steel that can handle high pressure. This means the pressure on feed water is not lowered, guaranteeing you a constant, pure water supply.
Maintaining this filter is easy as it’s fitted with a filter change timer that will alert you when the filter needs replacement. You don’t have to worry about the filter wearing out without your knowledge.
The clear housing that comes with this sediment filter makes it easy for you to visually monitor the filter cartridge status. It also allows you to handle any breakdown issue on time and keep you supplied with pure water all through.
This Culligan filtration system provides you with great-tasting water and removes the bad odor present in your well. It manages to eliminate the different sediments, including chlorine, dust, silt, and sand.
The filter can handle the high pressure of up to 125 PSI, ensuring no pressure drop on your whole house water supply line. This ensures that your household has access to pure water at all times.
The bypass shut-off valve that comes with this filter makes it one of the best sediment filters on the market. This means you don’t have to worry about wastage through leakage as you replace your filter cartridge.
Additionally, this filtration system is certified against the NSF/ANSI standards, and that should give you peace of mind, knowing that its components are high quality.
- Easy to maintain
- Removes different types of sediments
- Minimal wastage
- Long life
- High flow rate
- Great tasting water free from bad odor
Aquasana Whole House Well Filter System
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine and reduces harmful contaminants like lead, mercury, herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, and more
- High-Performance Filter System - Carbon & KDF filtration media engineered to maximize contaminant reduction while leaving healthy minerals in your water; This system will NOT reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Cost Efficient & Long Lasting - Clean water for less than $0. 01 a gallon - Save twice as much compared to other brands on purified water for 1 million gallons or 10 years
The Aquasana filtration system works great on your well, leaving you with great tasting water as it gets rid of the many contaminants found in your well.
Since you don’t have to flush the system, it becomes easy to maintain it. By replacing the filters every three months, you are guaranteed that the filter will serve you for a long time.
The combination of activated carbon technology and KDF filtration media makes it one of the best sediment filters available in the market today. The combined technology sees to it that all contaminants that are common in well water are removed.
Installing this sediment filter at the entry point of your mainline water supply guarantees you an uninterrupted pure water supply. As the water flows in the pre-sediment filter, the large particles present are removed.
The next step, where the water meets the activated carbon, the organic materials and chemicals are removed. The left and right navigation of your water allows it to flow through the carbon twice. This ensures that you have great-tasting water in the end.
This sediment filter works well in areas where the well’s water is highly contaminated with different sediments and it’s hard.
It’s easy to maintain this filtration system since no draining or flushing is required when replacing the filters.
The Aquasana will serve you for a long time, up to 10 years, with proper maintenance or an equivalent of 1 million gallons of water. This gives you value for your money.
As a filter for well water, this system improves your plumbing system’s lifeline and water appliances in your house. This is made possible as the system binds up the minerals preventing build-up and eventual clogging of your plumbing system and appliances.
With the great tasting water, free from impurities your household gets from this filter, you will have a healthy family by removing the disease-causing contaminants in your water.
- Removes most of the contaminants found in well water
- Great tasting water
- Minimal water wastage during filter replacement
- softens your water
- Ensures no build-up is formed, protecting your plumbing system
- It does not eliminate TDS
7. Home Master 2 Stage Water Filter
- Massive filter housings with 1-inch ports for the strongest water pressure possible -- up to 10-gallons per minute
- Four gradient density sediment filter produces finer filtration and greater dirt holding capacity filtration from 25 to 1 micron
- 95, 000-gallon capacity replaceable catalytic carbon filter provides a full year of clean water for a family of four
This is among the best sediment filter available in the market today. With the high flow rate, this filter ensures your household can access pure water at all times. The filter can dispense up to 10 gallons of water per minute.
By trapping particles of sediments in the water, this system will give you pure water.
Additionally, the sediment filter has a high dirt holding capacity from 25 to 5 microns. Holding these impurities results in high-quality water at the end of the filtration process.
The 1″ port makes it possible for this filter to withstand high pressure without breaking down. This also means high flow levels keeping you supplied with pure water at all times.
Apart from removing large particles, the filter also eliminates chlorine impurities in your water, leaving you with clean, great-tasting water free from unpleasant odor.
Installation of this sediment filter is simple, and so is maintenance. The hard housing ensures that you don’t interfere with the filter media during replacement. This allows the filter to serve you for a long period.
Additionally, the four layers of filter media guarantee high-quality water and improve the durability of the system.
Install this filter as the first stage of your purification process from the main supply line, and your household is assured of pure water. You can even mount the filter on a wall as it has a steel mounting bracket.
The second stage of this filter boasts a 1-micron filter which means that even particles as small as dust sediments are prevented from flowing through.
The large filters that this filtration system holds minimizes the replacement frequency. This means that you will save on maintenance costs.
The replaceable catalytic carbon filter that the system holds can serve you up to 1 year or an equivalent of 95,000 gallons without the need for replacement. However, this may vary depending on your water usage and the number of impurities in your water.
- High flow rate
- Low maintenance
- Improves your water taste and smell
- Eliminates different types of sediment
- Simple filter changing procedure
- Can withstand strong pressure
- It doesn’t reduce TDS
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Sanitary Quick-Change Filter System
- CLEARLY GREAT WATER: This whole house water filter reduces sediment as well as chlorine taste and odor*
- EASY TO REPLACE: Sanitary Quick Change (SQC) design allows for fast and easy change-outs of the 3M Aqua-Pure AP917HD Replacement Water Filter Cartridge without having to contact the filter media or the need for a filter wrench
- 100,000 GALLON CAPACITY: Replacement cartridge has an activated carbon filter with nominal heavy duty particulate reduction rating of 5 microns and a 100,000 gallon capacity at high flow rates of 10 gpm and even at intermittent peak flow rates of 20 gpm**
Investing in this filter will provide your household with much-needed pure water.
With this filter, you are assured of high quality and great tasting water, made possible by its capacity to remove chlorine impurities.
This filter has the capacity to handle high pure water demand for your whole household. With the 100,000 gallons of water capacity, your demand is easily met.
With a particle reduction rate of up to 5 microns, the activated carbon filter enables this system to dispense up to 20 GPM at the peak flow levels.
The 3M Aqua filter is a favorite for most homes that depend on well water as the 1″ connectors and the 20 GPM at peak performance can handle high water pressure. Keeping you supplied with pure water at all times.
Another benefit that makes it a favorite is the easy filter replacement procedure.
With the sanitary quick design, the replacement process becomes easy as it eliminates the need for a wrench, and you don’t come into contact with the filter media. This extends the life of the whole system.
This whole house filter is fitted with a stainless steel head that ensures rust and corrosion don’t affect the fittings. Further, the filter is certified against the NSF standards. This means the components and fittings are of the desired quality.
With this filter, your plumbing system and water appliances are protected from rust and eventual breakdown.
It’s best to install it at the entry point of your well water; this way, your household will have pure water on every faucet without experiencing downtime.
With correct installation, the 3M Aqua whole house filter should serve you up to 12 months or at 100,000 gallons without the need to replace.
- Easy filter change
- Withstands high water pressure
- Minimal maintenance cost
- Removes foul odor
- Great tasting water
- High capacity 100,000 gallons
- NSF certified
Express Water, Whole House Water Filter, 1 Stage Sediment Filter
- Whole House Water Filter: Reduce harmful contaminants from your entire home’s water with Express Water’s 1 Stage Water Filtration System.Sediment Water Filter: Keep the most damaging sediments out of your drinking water and protect your other filters from coarse contaminants including rust, sand, dirt and silt.
- Low Maintenance Water Filter System: No need to mess with complicated replacement of your whole house water filter cartridges, Express Water’s water filtration systems allow for quick and easy replacement. Durable Whole House Water Filter: Express Water Whole Home Water Filtration Systems are constructed with standing stainless-steel frames for long term durability and quality.
- Easy to Replace Water Filter Cartridges: All Express Water whole house water filter replacement cartridges are designed for quick and easy replacement to keep your system up and running.Long Lasting Water Filtration: Sediment replacement water filters have a life cycle of 100,000 gallons or 6–12 months depending on incoming water quality, providing your home with reliable whole home water filtration.
This sediment water filter is best fitted at the point of entry of your well water. That way, you are assured of pure water on every faucet in your house.
Most households prefer it as it is easy to replace the filter when the replacement time is due. With a simple twist-off, the exercise is hassle-free. Additionally, the filter has a pressure release button that makes filter removal easy.
The strong solid wall mount makes this filter’s installation easy for you, eliminating the need for a plumber to handle the installation.
Depending on your water quality, this filter can serve you for 6-12 months without the need to replace it.
The filter eliminates most of the contaminants from your water, including sand, silt, and other sediments. This is important as it protects your follow-up purification system and the whole plumbing system. It also extends the life of your water appliances.
This filter guarantees high performance as it can withstand the high water pressure of up to 100 PSI and dispense pure water at a high rate.
Additionally, the filter has a pressure gauge fitted, which allows you to monitor the pressure levels and ensure that a pressure drop doesn’t occur as it could affect the flow level.
With this filter, you will save on water as this system doesn’t send water down the drain. With the high performance of up to 0.25 gallons per second, its capacity is unmatched.
- Easy monitoring with the pressure gauge
- Minimal water wastage
- High-performance rate
- Prevents corrosion
- Can handle high water pressure
- It doesn’t reduce the TDS in your water
Transparent Big Blue Housing Water Filter System
- 💎 DURABLE STRUCTURE: 10” Transparent Standard Housing is proper for heavy sediment applications. The housing body is made of reinforced polypropylene for strength and resistance to chemicals, and the blue cap is made of high-flow polypropylene for toughness. The cap has 3/4" inlet / outlet brass ports which allowed better sealed connections to the corresponding pipes. 10” Standard 5 Micron Sediment Filters Used for effectively removing most sediments from water
- 💎 POINT OF USE: This System for use in various applications and is usually placed in the main water line entering the house including, but not limited to residential drinking water filtration, well water filtration, food service, and irrigation. Extends life of Washing Machines, Water Heaters & Other Household Appliances. Keeps water fresh by reducing sediment, scale, rust, dirt, sands, and silt
- 💎 EASY TO OPERATE: There is rubber O-ring on the top of the housing body to ensure a watertight seal. A pressure relief button on the inlet side of the cap releases pressure in the housing for changing filter cartridges. Unique cap design allow quickly and easy to remove housing to replace cartridges. Transparent housing body allows visually to determine when cartridge should be changed
This sediment water filter guarantees your household with pure water for a long time. The strong housing that comes with this filter makes it possible to serve you a long time.
The 3/4″ inlet and outlet connectors make it easy for you to install and connect to the next corresponding pipes.
The 10-5 microns that this filter harbors ensure that it removes most of the sediments and contaminants present in your water source.
By placing this filter at the point of entry of your well water, you protect your plumbing system and extend your water appliances’ life. This sediment filter keeps your water pure by scaling down the common sediments, including the dust, sand, and silt.
Being NSF certified, the filter gives you peace of mind, knowing that the components make it meet the quality standards. This includes the 5 microns sediment cartridge and other components.
The clear housing allows you to monitor the filter cartridge usage, which will enable you to schedule the replacement plans in good time.
The housing bracket and wrench that come with this filter make the installation work easy. It’s also easy to maintain it as you can monitor the cartridge usage visually without opening it.
With this filter, you are assured that it can handle high pressure as the strong mounting is attached to the cap, further strengthening it and increasing its lifespan. With proper handling, this filter for well water can serve you for 6 months without replacing it.
Using the pleated cartridge with this filter allows it to trap particles and other sediments easily. Besides, the 5 microns filter will trap the smaller particles that were not trapped by the pleats.
This sediment filter can handle high water volumes of up to 20,000 gallons before replacement. It can also withstand high temperatures of up to 90C.
- Strong built housing
- Can work with different types of cartridges
- Easy to maintain and install
- High performance
- Requires further tightening to avoid leakage
Factors to Consider When Buying a Filter for Well Water
1. Contaminants in Your Water
Before settling on the sediment filter to purchase, it’s important to test your water. This will help you narrow down the type of filter you are looking for.
You want a filter that will remove most of the impurities from your water. Evaluate the most common sediments in your water. To know this, you can have your water tested by a professional.
The professional can also guide you on the most viable filter to buy.
2. Number of Microns
Wellwater plays host to different sizes of sediments. The smaller the microns in the filter, the more it will be able to remove finer particles.
For instance, a 1-micron filter removes particles as small as a micron, while a 5-microns filter eliminates the impurities of 5 microns. The smaller the microns, the more effective the filtration process is; however, the microns’ size could affect your water pressure.
3. Water Pressure
Consider the pressure that the water from the well joins the mainline to your house. This is measured in PSI. Go for a micron filter that can withstand high pressure.
This is important because pressure affects the rate at which water flows through your plumbing system to the appliances.
Some micron filters that cannot handle high water pressure lead to a reduced flow to a point where you can not use several water appliances at a go in your house.
A good filter should handle above 80 PSI of water pressure for optimal performance.
Consider your budgetary allocation, but also don’t compromise on quality. You would rather hold add up some more and get the best.
Some cheap options in the market may not perform well in eliminating the sediments. This may be expensive for you in the long run as you will be endangering your family with contaminated water.
Furthermore, an inefficient filter will lead to a build-up and the eventual clogging and rusting of your plumbing system and water appliances.
Consider the space you have available for the micron filter. Some brands are bulky as they involve several filtration stages.
As much as they will yield better results, evaluate whether the space available can accommodate it.
This is important, especially if you plan on having the filter placed at the point of entry where the water joins your home. This may call for you to make provisions for accommodating it. For the wall-mounted micron filter, check to see the most convenient position to have it mounted.
Under capacity, you will need to evaluate your daily pure water demand. Check for the filter that can handle the volume of your water needs.
This is measured in terms of the gallons per minute that the filter can handle. You will have to approximate the amount of water your household requires in a day.
When buying the micron filter, go for one that can handle 20% above your daily usage. This way, your household will always have access to pure water.
The filters require regular replacement of the cartridges.
When buying a micron filter, go for one whose cartridge can serve you up to 6 months without being replaced or an equivalent of 100,000 gallons.
However, this may be affected by the number of impurities in your well water. High contamination means the cartridge wears out faster and will require regular replacement. This further translates to high maintenance costs.
This is the same with the activated carbon that some micron filters use in their filtration procedure.
When shopping for a micron filter, you will be safe going for a filter whose components are certified by a reliable body.
If the filter is made of plastic, check for FDA certification, proving that the plastics used are food-friendly.
Also, check for NSF/ANSI standardization as these are reputable bodies that will guarantee the quality of the components that make up the filter.
9. Durability and Compatibility
You need to establish how long the filter will serve you with proper maintenance. Given this is a one-off investment, you need to go for the one that can serve you the longest.
Some brands highlighted above are re-usable, which can serve you better as they will serve you for a longer duration.
Having a filter that is compatible with your already existing plumbing system will save you modification costs.
10. Water Conservation
Evaluate the options you have and go for the one with minimal chances of leakages. Consider also one that is flushable as these can drain the contaminated water easily.
11. Rate of flow
This is the amount of water that the filter can dispense in a minute. A high rate is important as it will guide you on the filter’s performance. You don’t want to go for a filter that takes forever to fill a gallon.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What micron filter is best for well water?
Check out the list above; it has narrowed down on the best micron filters currently available in the market.
2. Which is better, 5 micron or 20 microns?
This depends on what sediments are present in your well water. A 20 microns filter will eliminate larger particles, but the smaller particles below will flow through.
On the other hand, a 5-micron filter will remove smaller sediments from your water. Definitely, a 5 microns filter does a better job.
3. What is the best filter for well water?
The best filter is one that eliminates most of the contaminants from your well water. However, you can never go wrong with a filter that uses several stages in its filtration procedure.
A filter that uses a combination of filter cartridges and activated carbon yields the best results. However, the type of sediments in your water will determine how well the filter serves you.
4. What is the micron rating for well water?
For well water, the micron rating should fall between 5 and 30 microns.
5. How do you care and clean a micron filter?
The filters come with a cleaning manual that is unique to the different types of filters. However, you will need to replace and clean the filters every six months for optimal performance.
6. Is it normal to have sediments in well water?
Yes. Every water source has its type of impurities. Use the list highlighted above to get the best filter for your well water.
7. Will a micron filter remove iron?
Some filters, especially those that use both filter cartridges and activated carbon, will remove iron.
Confirm whether your filter of choice handles iron. Check from the label, the manual or get in touch with the manufacturer and enquire. You can also check out reviews from previous customers who are verified buyers on their experience.
8. How does a spin-down filter work?
This sediment filter is fabricated to spin and trap the larger particles of the sediments and drains down the contaminated water. The head design of these filters allows the water to circulate through the housing of this filter. This is to ensure that the large particles do not settle but are removed through the spinning.
Filtering your well water is a step in the right direction. You will reduce your household trips to the hospital with water-related diseases. Moreover, you will be protecting your plumbing system and will boost the lifespan of your water appliances.
The list above contains the best micron filters available in the market today. With the help of the buying guide highlighted above, you can make the best decision.
A micron filter for your well water is a one-off investment, and with proper maintenance, most of them can serve you for a long time; thus, it’s important to get it right.