Your refrigerator water filter removal is as simple as it is useful. The water filtration system can only work its best if you properly maintain and care for it well. A majority of refrigerator filters located in one of two locations:
- In the grille at the base of the fridge or
- at the back upper-right corner of the interior.
You’ll notice a knob or a button that will release the filter for removal in either location. So this is a super easy filter to take out since all you’re going to do push in. You’ll hear it click, and then it’ll pop out. In the final step, you pull the filter out, and you are good to go.
So, to know the details of how to get water filter out of frigidaire refrigerator, read on.
How Do you Get a Stuck Water Filter out of a Frigidaire Refrigerator?
In case you are having difficulties removing your water filter, the following tips will guide you. They are for taking out difficult or stuck water filters.
However, you should follow the instructions for removing your water filter, found in your manual, first.
Refrigerator water filters often are located in the grille at the bottom of the refrigerator or the upper right corner of its interior.
1. Filters located in the base grille
If it’s a quarter-turn filter, you should:-
- Place a piece of cloth over the water filter cap, which will help protect the cap from any damage.
- Unplug your refrigerator and remove the bottom grill; follow the instructions in your installation instructions. It will give you easier access to the filter cap and help you to grasp the cap easily.
- Use your standard pliers to lock onto the water filter cap and turn the cap a quarter turn. Beware not to put too much pressure or force on the water filter since it could cause it to break or do internal damage to the water system.
- Finally, pull the water filter straight out.
If it is a push-button filter;
- Firmly press the button, look to see if the filter has moved. If the filter has moved, firmly push the filter back in and then firmly push the button again. It will help make it more comfortable in the future.
Remember to remove the filter cap on the end of the filter.
2. Filter Located Inside the Refrigerator
If it is a Door-Opens-Up-and-Pops-out filter;
- Try closing and re-opening the water filter compartment door.
- Make sure you have opened your refrigerator door fully.
- Turn off the water to the refrigerator and purge some water from the waterline using the water dispenser. Dispense several cups of water; this will release some of the water pressure in the waterline.
- After purging the waterline, try removing the water filter.
If it is a push-button or pull-tab type of filter;
- Ensure your compartment door is open entirely depending on how the shelves’ arrangement. You may need to remove the shelf that is located just below the water filter compartment.
- Turn the filter counterclockwise to the left, and pull it straight out.
How do I Remove and Replace a Stuck Water Filter Ultrawf?
In case you cannot remove your ULTRAWF filter, the instructions listed below may be helpful. It should work whether it is a factory original filter or any other brand of aftermarket replacement.
Use a flat screwdriver for popping off the side plastic cover. It will expose a screw that holds the housing in place. Remove that, and then there is an opening near the bottom that you can fit your finger. Push up on the plastic connector that the water filter seats into while also pushing the water filter inwards. The filter comes right out.
Therefore, once you remove the old filter, you will need to replace it. The Frigidaire PureSource Ultra Water Filter is designed specifically to work with your Frigidaire French Door Refrigerator, providing fresh drinking water for you and your family for up to six months.
These easy to install filters remove 99% of impurities, leaving you with nothing but crystal clear water and ice from the ice maker to enjoy. Changing the filter can be accomplished in just four easy steps.
- Push and then pull on the existing water filter to remove it.
- Remove the protective caps from your new water filter.
- Slide the filter into place, and push until it locks.
- Run your water for about 3 minutes until it’s primed and ready to go.
Be sure to replace your PureSource Ultra Water Filter every six months to ensure cleaner and better-tasting water and ice.
How to Change a Refrigerator Water Filter?
The following are a few signs you can look out for that indicate it’s time to replace your water filter;
- The ice maker is slow making ice or makes no ice at all.
- Refrigerator water or ice tastes terrible.
- Refrigerator water or ice smells bad.
- Water dispenser pressure is low.
If you notice any of these common signs of a dirty water filter, it needs replacing. The following are the steps to follow when replacing your filter:
1. Purchase a replacement filter
Use your refrigerator manufacturer’s manual or look up the model number online to find the right filter replacement.
2. Locate the Water Filter
Again, using the manual or looking online, locate the water filter in your unit.
3. Turn off the water supply
Pull your refrigerator away from the wall and use the water supply valve to shut off the water supply.
4. Remove the filter
Depending on the model and brand, either by twisting the filter a quarter turn and pull the filter out or push the release button.
5. Install the new filter
Twist in the new filter or push it into place. Again, this depends on the water filter housing.
6. Turn the water supply back on.
Turn the valve to the ON position and push your refrigerator back into place.
Can you Bypass the Water Filter on a Frigidaire Refrigerator?
Maybe your home has its water filtration system, and the fridge-installed unit is redundant. If your refrigerator is older, replacement filters may not be available. Regardless of your reasons, it’s an easy process to bypass the filter in your fridge.
For instance, most side-by-side refrigerators, the frigidaire refrigerator, have water filtration systems for use with a built-in water dispenser and ice maker. Filters for these systems should be replaced roughly once every six months depending on usage, but you may find yourself in a situation where you can’t or don’t want to replace the filter.
Bypassing the water filter in your refrigerator can be easy. You need to locate your fridge’s filter first. It will either be found inside the refrigerator door or behind the grille at the bottom of the refrigerator. If the filter is in the base grille, you can remove it by turning the round filter cover counterclockwise until the handle is vertical to the floor, and then you can pull it out.
However, if the filter is inside the fridge itself, push the release button beside it to release and remove the cartridge. Use a cup to test the water dispenser for a few moments. If it dispenses and continues to do so, your fridge has a built-in bypass. If it does not administer, you will need a bypass plug.
How to do a Bypass Plug?
If you require a bypass plug, you’ll need to locate your refrigerator’s specific make and model. Purchase a bypass plug compatible with your fridge model, which you can often find via a quick online search.
The plug will often look similar to your refrigerator’s water filter. With the bypass plug in hand, remove your fridge’s water filter and replace it with the plug, either by slotting it into the same port inside the refrigerator or securing it to the same valve behind the base grille. Test your water dispenser for leaks.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often do you change the Frigidaire water filter?
It’s recommended you replace your water filter every six months. Over time, your water filter will collect filtered-out particles and contaminants that will naturally make it less effective.
2. Can an old water filter make you sick?
Yes, your old filter can add bacteria to your water. It can make you sick if you continue to use the old filter.
An older German study found that the number of bacteria was less in tap water than filtered water after one week of use at two different temperatures.
3. How do you get a stuck water filter out?
If the water filter is stuck, place a piece of cloth over the water filter cap. Using standard pliers, lock onto the water filter cap and turn the cap a quarter turn. Pull the water filter straight out.
4. Do you really need a refrigerator water filter?
The popular filtration method removes up to 99 per cent of contaminants. If you are unsure of the water’s microbiological content’s quality, you should use a filter, regardless of whether the refrigerator will dispense water and ice without one.