We all hate these: You are taking a bath and as minutes go by, the water in your shower is getting higher and higher above your feet. Or, you are washing your dishes, and realize that the greasy water isn’t draining. Water not going down your drain is a sign of clogging and back-up in your pipes.
A clogged or blocked drain can be a nuisance, yet they are common problems that many homeowners are faced with. Fortunately, there are various ways to unclog your drains without necessarily calling the plumber.
The strongest drain clog remover for your clogged drain will largely depend on what drain is clogged and what is causing the clogging. While some clog removers are formulated to cut through grease clogs, others are efficient at removing hair clogs. However, if you have a septic system, you will require a special drain clog remover that will not damage your plumbing.
What Types of Drain Cleaners are there?
Acid Based Drain Cleaner
If you are faced with stubborn clog caused by hair, grease, soap scum, toilet paper, or food, then consider an acid-based drain cleaner. An acidic drain cleaner is the strongest drain cleaner you can find on the market and can only be used in new homes with copper and plastic plumbing systems.
Since acidic drain cleaners are formulated from hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid compounds, they are not safe for use in old plastic pipe systems as well as entire plumbing system made of aluminum or steel materials.
Caustic drain cleaners are also chemical-based drain cleaners that are formulated from alkaline compounds that can dissolve food waste, grease, and other gunk clogging your drain. Unfortunately, some caustic cleaners are not great at cleaning toilet clogs.
Just like the acid drain clog removers, a caustic drain cleaner should be used in newer copper, plastic, stainless steel, and other metal plumbing systems. NOTE: Caustic drain cleaners should not be used on pipes that are 20 years and older as the alkaline compound can corrode and damage them. Besides, be sure to always wear protective clothing, a mask or respirator, a pair of gloves, safety glasses when using them.
Enzymatic Drain Cleaners
If you want a gentler drain cleaner that won’t corrode your drains and possibly damage your bathtub, toilet, or sink, then get an enzymatic drain cleaner. Enzymatic drain openers are marketed as eco-friendlier clog remover options that feature bacteria.
The bacteria produce enzymes that break down hair, toilet paper, food debris, and other organic compounds blocking your drain. These drain cleaners are more environment-friendly than chemical drain clog removers.
Since enzymatic cleaners are eco-friendlier, at least do an enzymatic drain cleaning once a month to keep your drains clog-free. You don’t require protective clothing when using enzymatic drain clog removers.
10 Strongest Drain Clog Removers
1. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover – Best Overall Clog Remover
- Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is the #1 Selling Gel Drain Cleaner*
- Gets to work in as quick as 7 minutes
- Pours through standing water straight to the clog
When it comes to the best drain cleaners, Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is possibly the first drain cleaner that comes into your mind. This liquid drain cleaner is popular and recognized for good reason; it is best for all-around drain cleaner that is affordable and effective.
This strongest drain clog remover features a thick formula that easily penetrates stagnant water to quickly dissolve any clogs in your blocked drain including clogs such as soap scum and hair. According to most reviewers, the Drano Max Gel is a super drain cleaner that works to quickly eliminate clogs caused by many days of hair build-up and other clog-causing materials.
- Penetrates stagnant water to clear clogs
- Fast-acting thick formula effective in 15 minutes
- Formulated with gentler ingredients that don’t corrode pipes
- Designed to remove clogs in shower, bathtubs, and kitchen sinks drain pipes
- Packed in 80 oz container
- Thickly formulated to quickly dissolve tough clogs
- Safe for PVC, metal pipes, garbage disposals, and septic systems
- Penetrates standing water to reach and dissolve clogs
- Excessively tough clogs may need a second application
2. Thrift T-100 Alkaline Based Granular Drain Cleaner – Best Granular Clog Remover
- This product is highly durable
- This product adds a great value
- This product is manufactured in United states
The Thrift T-100 Drain Cleaner is the best granular clog remover on the market. With just a pound of this drain cleaner, it will effectively unclog hair, grease clogs, and other residues blocking your drains. However, you need to follow the instruction of use for it to work perfectly.
This granular clog remover from Thrift is designed to dissolve grease and hair in 60 seconds while not damaging your chrome, porcelain, plastic, or your metal plumbing system. This is because it is a non-acid formula and it contains a high percentage of sodium hydroxide that will not harm your plumber snakes but will enhance the growth of active bacteria in your pipes.
Mix it with hot water to activate the Thrifts dry odorless crystal to dissolve clogs within 60 seconds. Whereas it is effective in dissolving gunk, it may take a few minutes to even hours to completely clear your drains. Use a pair of gloves, protective clothing, mask, and safety glasses when using thrift drain cleaner remover.
- Highly durable
- A 4-in-1 product that works best on drains, grease traps, sewer lines, and septic systems
- Cleans drain within 60 seconds
- Odorless granular formula
- Effective in liquefying grease, soap scum, and hair
- Ideally designed for unclogging septic systems, sewer lines, garbage disposal
- The granules are secured in a plastic container
- The granules can cause harm if it gets into contact with your skin
3. Bio-Clean Drain Septic – Best for Septic System
- LISTING IS FOR 1 TWO POUND CANISTER
- Special combination of natural microbes and enzymes that DIGESTS dead organic waste found in...
- Eliminates costly backups. Up to 100 Drain Treatments.
If you are looking for the strongest drain clog remover for septic system, then consider Bio-Clean. This is the best drain clog remover ideally designed to clean septic systems as it is formulated from natural bacteria and enzymes.
The powder formula is designed to cut through the organic waste that has build-up to clog your septic system. It is perfect for removing grease, food particles, hair, and soap scum among other drain obstructions.
Since this drain cleaner doesn’t affect inorganic materials, it will be safe for use on your plastic and metal plumbing system as well as septic tanks. Most reviewers have recommended this product and have stressed its use as directed. If you use it for longer, it will completely clear all your drain clogs and blockages thus enabling your drains to drain better for longer.
- Combines natural microbes and enzymes
- Environmentally friendly and safe for all pipes and septic systems
- Multi-purpose: Used in showers, garbage disposal, kitchen sink, septic tanks, cat litter pans, bathtubs, and more
- Eliminates the costliest drain clogs
- Does away with the need to buy dangerous chemical drain cleaners
- Reduces waste in septic tanks and drain fields
- Must be left to work for at least 8 hours or overnight
4. Roebic K-87 Soap Destroyer – Best Biodegradable Clog Remover
- ELIMINATES BUILDUP IN PIPES: Soap, Roebic K-87 Soap Destroyer naturally breaks down waste such...
- BIODEGRADABLE BACTERIA FORMULA: K-87 contains Roebic's exclusive biodegradable bacterial...
- SAFE FOR ALL PLUMBING: K-87 treatment is safe on all pipes for any household and the...
If you are stressed with a drain that is frequently clogged by grease, soap scum, and toilet paper, then Roebic’s K-87 Soap Destroyer comes in handy. It is perfect for use in shower drains, laundry, and septic system drains. Moreover, it is safe for use in all kinds of pipes.
Since this clog remover is biodegradable, it creates colonies of helpful bacteria in your drains to help keep away clogging and build-ups. The bacteria will dwell and reproduce in your drains while feeding on organic matter to ensure your pipes are free from clogs in the future.
The formula is relatively light with an earthy scent. Since it is made from biodegradable bacterial cultures, you do need to worry about the harsh toxic smell experienced with chemical drain openers in your home.
The drain cleaner is easy to use. Simply follow the specific directions provided for either drains or standpipes or for tank or leach field. Consider using at least four times a year or as required. If you want the best biodegradable clog remover, then Roebic K-87 Soap Destroyer is the real deal.
- Biodegradable bacteria cultures
- Promotes healthy bacteria colonies in your drains
- Slightly earthy odor
- Multi-purpose: Breaks down soap scum, grease, paper, and detergent build-up in drains
- Easy to use
- Safe to all pipes as it is biodegradable
- Capable of quickly degrading difficult to remove clogs like grease
- Requires regular use for best results
5. Green Gobbler Drain Clog Dissolver – Best for Garbage Disposal
- DISSOLVES HAIR, SOAP, TOILET PAPER & FLUSHABLE PERSONAL CARE WIPES: Forget the dirty work of...
- EASY TO USE PACKAGING, POWERFUL AND EFFECTIVE FORMULA: This drain and pipe cleaner is a simple...
- MULTIPLE USES: This drain opener is safe to use in pipes, toilets, sinks, tubs, and showers and...
The Green Gobbler Drain Clog Dissolver is the strongest drain clog remover designed especially for garbage disposal and kitchen sink drains. The drain clog remover features a highly-effective formula that gobbles up hair, paper, soap scum, and grease without corroding your drain pipes.
The formula works by liquefying anything organic that blocks your drains. It also clings to the pipes to keep them free from clogs while draining in perfect condition. The drain cleaner works in minutes and is safer to use than formulas that have chemical compounds like sodium hydroxide. Therefore, with this clog remover, you don’t have to worry about any toxic chemical smell or damage to your plumbing system through corrosion.
The bottle is designed with dual chambers thus eliminating the need of using measuring cups. If you are using the formula to clean your sink drains, empty one chamber into the sink drain. But if you are unclogging your toilet drain, then empty both chambers into the toilet drain for best results.
- Superior performance
- Safer for use on all pipes
- It is biodegradable and safe for septic tanks and all drain pipes
- It is easy to use with no need to measure
- Dissolves and clears hair clogs faster
- A bit expensive
6. Instant Power Hair & Grease Drain Opener – Best for Hair and Grease
- This unique formulation dissolves hair clogs from bathroom drains and creates heat to melt...
If you are experiencing a build-up of hair or grease that is creating tough clogs in your bathtub or shower drains, you will need a heavy-duty drain clog remover to eliminate these blockages. Instant Power Hair & Grease Drain Opener is the strongest drain clog remover specially designed to get rid of grease and hair clogs in drains.
With its high ratings from hundreds of reviewers, this unique formulation works to dissolve hair clogs from your shower drains as well as create heat to melt grease from your kitchen drains. Besides, it is easy to use and very effective, and reliable in clearing even the stubbornest drain clogs.
This drain clog remover comes in 1-2L or 2-1L containers. the formulation is made safe for use in all kinds of pipes and it is equally safe for septic systems. With its odorless and fumes nature, you don’t need a mask or safety glasses when using it.
So, if you are looking for the best hair and grease clog remover, then Instant Power Hair & Grease Drain Opener has you covered.
- Dissolves hair and melts grease
- Non-acid formulation
- Strongest non-acid clog remover best for kitchen and shower drains
- It is odorless and fumeless thus safe for use at home
- Works well with all types of pipes and it is safe for septic tank
- Requires use overnight when water usage is at the lowest for it to work effectively
7. Rockwell Labs IBDC032 Invade Bio Drain Gel-1 – Best for Sink
- 4 oz. per drain
- Microbes and Citrus Oil
- This product is to be used specifically for drains but can also be used to eliminate sugar...
If you have a kitchen that isn’t draining efficiently due to clogging, you may want to try Rockwell Labs’ Invade Bio Drain Gel. This is a drain clog remover that is designed to eliminate kitchen sink clogs as well as get rid of drain flies in the process.
The Invade Bio Drain Gel contains probiotics that consume all the organic waste that is clogging your kitchen sink drains. Such organic waste includes food debris and grease. The drain clog remover comes in a 1-quart bottle and has a citrus smell that you suitable for kitchen sink application.
Because this drain gel is formulated from natural microbes and contains probiotics, it is 100% safe for use at home. Besides, it won’t damage your sink drain pipes, bathtub, bathroom sinks and shower drain or your septic tank like chemical drain clog removers do.
- Contains natural microbes and citrus oil
- Thickened formula
- No harsh chemicals or fumes
- Safe for all types of pipes and septic system
- Doesn’t contain harmful chemicals or produce toxic fumes when in use
- Safe for all pipes and septic tank
- Effective for unclogging drainpipes by breaking down organic waste within seconds
- Not efficient against soap scum or inorganic debris
8. Green Gobbler Drain Clog Remover (5 Pack) – Best Single Use Packs
- EASY TO USE: Fast and Powerful Single Use Pacs, No Measuring, No Guessing How Much To Use, No...
- WORKS FOR: Bathroom Sinks, Bath Tubs, Showers, Toilets, Kitchen Sinks, Floor Drains, Slop...
- EFFECTIVE AGAINST: Grease, Hair, Toilet Paper, Soap Scum, Organic Materials, Body Oils, Calcium...
If you want an easy-to-use drain clog remover that comes with a long drain snake to help remove your drain clog even better, then the Green Gobbler Drain Clog Remover has you covered. This is one of the powerful and effective single-use liquid drain cleaners that comes in packs.
With this drain cleaner, you don’t need to measure how much you need to use. simply take a pack and drain it down your drain. The fast-acting and powerful ingredients will eat away the grease, toilet paper, hair, soap scum, organic materials, shampoo residue, lime buildup, and other common waste clogging your drains.
Since this drain cleaner is biodegradable and lacks toxic fumes, it is a safer alternative for you and your plumbing system compared to toxic and dangerous liquid drain chemicals. It works well with bathroom drains, floor drains, urinals drains, shower drains, kitchen and bathroom sink drains.
- Easy to use and mess-free
- Fast-acting & Powerful ingredients
- Safe for pipes and septic systems
- No measuring needed
- Comes in an easy-to-use pack that doesn’t need you to measure for a fast no-mess application
- The formulation is all biodegradable thus safe for use
- Includes a 22-inch plastic tool to aid in the quick removal of tough hair clogs from your shower or sink drain
- Effective in removing common clog materials such as hair, organic materials, grease, soap scum, rust, lime buildup among others
- Smells quite awful
9. Biokleen Bac-Out Drain Cleaner – Best Budget Drain Clog Remover
- PREVENTS DRAIN CLOGS AND ELIMINATES ODORS: Bac-Out Drain Care prevents clogs, and eliminates...
- KEEPS PETS AND KIDS IN MIND: Bac-Out Drain Care leaves no harsh fumes or residue, just cleaner...
- BIO-ACTIVE FORMULA: A unique blend of live enzyme cultures breakdown and absorb organic...
The Biokleen Bac-Out Drain Cleaner is the best budget drain clog remover that combines the latest technology of live enzyme-producing cultures and plant extracts for the strongest drain clog remover, care, and maintenance.
The drain cleaner features a unique gel formula that works to coat the drains thoroughly to stay longer compared to liquid and powder drain clog removers. With this, the formula prevents clogs, treats slow drains, and gets rid of tough odors from your drains.
The Biokleen drain cleaner doesn’t contain acids, artificial fragrances, or colors making it safe for home use and with all kinds of pipes and septic systems. So, if you want a strong drain clog remover that is affordable and effective in clearing clogged drains, the Bac-Out Drain Care from Biokleen can be a great choice.
- A unique blend of live enzyme-producing cultures
- Eliminates tough odors
- No acids, artificial fragrance, or colors
- Unique gel formula
- Effective in eliminating and preventing clogs treats slow drains and lessens odor
- Effective gel formula that is safer for all types of pipes and septic system
- It is affordable
- Doesn’t eliminate tough drain clogs
10. Pure Lye Bead Drain Opener – Best Beads Drain Opener
- ComStar Pure Lye is an industrial-strength, eco-friendly, 99% pure Sodium Hydroxide bead...
- This sodium hydroxide formula is the purest white, bead-size lye in the world—99% pure. A...
- This fantastic product clears clogged and slow-moving drains, grease traps, and septic systems...
Whereas most drain openers are either in liquid or gel formula, some come in other forms like the Pure Lye Bead Drain Opener from ComStar. This drain clog remover is made of 99% pure lye beads that are optimized to industrial strength to unclog even the most difficult pipe clogs.
It comes packed in a container of 1 pound of the drain opener. The lye beads are designed to sink in standing water to reach the clog and break it down. The beads are odorless and non-acidic, thus safe for use with all kinds of pipes and septic systems.
The Pure Lye Drain Opener is effective in cleaning out clogged and slow drains, grease traps as well as septic systems. The good thing is that these beads won’t harm your septic tanks or cesspools. The lye beads don’t create any fumes and thus the drain opener has come to a favorite drain opener for homes, cafeterias, schools, restaurants, and commercial buildings.
- Odorless non-acid formula
- Safe for drains & septic system
- The non-acidic nature of this drain opener makes it safe to use with plastic drains, pipes, and septic
- It is made with pure lye beads with industrial strength for effective clearing of the toughest pipe clogs
- Penetrates standing water to reach the cause of the clog and breaks it down in minutes
- Might clog your drain pipe in case the beads don’t dissolve completely
Without a doubt, not all drain clog removers are manufactured equal. Some are acidic while others use natural bacterial in their formulation. Also, some drain openers can be used in garbage disposals and septic systems while others cannot.
If you are looking for an all-around drain cleaner, we recommend the Drano Max Gel Clog Remover. It is a thick formula that cuts through standing water to quickly reach and dissolve clogs. But if you want an effective yet affordable then Biokleen Bac-Out Drain Cleaner can come in handy.