You are not in control of your well or municipal water quality, but that doesn’t mean you should be comfortable with drinking contaminated water.
And this explains the need for the best water filters for rental apartments.
They protect your water from impurities such as rust particles and harmful contaminants such as bacteria and lead. They also help in the improvement of the flavor of your water.
While bottled water is accessible and a cheap and quick solution, water filters are more sustainable and save you money and time.
However, there are numerous types of water filters available on the market, each being unique according to what they rid from the water. Such filters include; under-sink filters, faucet mounts, whole-house filtration systems, pitcher filters, and more. The price range of water filters is vast, ranging from reverse osmosis models that cost hundreds to $20 pitchers.
Living in an apartment doesn’t have to mean sacrificing the quality of your drinking water. Since there isn’t one specific filter solution, you will need to narrow down the best water filters list based on your limited living space.
Each item included in this roundup has either been certified by the NSF, a health and safety standards testing company, tested, and approved by an independent third party to NSF standards.
Let’s delve in.
APEX Quality Countertop Drinking Water Filter
- REDUCES CONTAMINANTS IN TAP WATER: The APEX Clear Countertop Alkaline Drinking Water Filter System removes contaminants commonly found in tap water, like chlorine, sediment, and radon. It also filters Cryptosporidium, and Giardia cysts, which contribute to water-borne illnesses. APEX water filters remove mercury and harmful pesticides to give you delicious, sparkling, fresh clean drinking water.
- CONNECTS TO STANDARD FAUCETS: APEX’s Clear countertop water filter system has been designed to conveniently sit right on your kitchen counter. It is simple to install, and connects easily to most standard kitchen faucets. All the necessary hardware is included for easy do-it-yourself installation. Simply remove the aerator screen from the faucet and screw on the collar of the APEX diverter valve.
- COST-EFFECTIVE WATER FILTER: By using an APEX countertop alkaline water filter, you can stop wasting money on small disposable bottles of water that just get thrown away when empty. Buying bottled water for daily home consumption gets expensive and tedious. You don’t have to lug heavy water jugs or cases home to enjoy fresh clean drinking water. APEX water filters are the solution.
APEX water filtering system comes as a complete water purification kit that is simple to install and use. It attaches easily to most standard kitchen faucets with easy do-it-yourself installation. Remove the aerator screen (bubbler screen) from the tap and screw on the APEX diverter valve’s collar.
APEX Clear Countertop Alkaline Drinking Water Filter System for your apartment faucets removes impurities and chemicals. Tiny particles and contaminants are removed through carbon block filters that remove mercury, pesticides, chlorine, radon, and more from your drinking water.
- It connects to domestic faucet models
- It is a cost-effective water filter
- You become environmentally responsible
- You get to purchase without worry
- You might find it difficult to unscrew the system when it is time to change your filter.
PUR PFM400H Faucet Water Filtration System Horizontal, Chrome
- FAUCET WATER FILTRATION SYSTEM – Enjoy cleaner, filtered water from your faucet with the PUR Faucet Mount Filter System. It’s easy to attach and includes a MineralClear filter that filters water over natural minerals for a crisp, refreshing taste.
- REDUCES LEAD AND 70+ CONTAMINANTS – This PUR drinking water faucet filtration system is certified to reduce over 70 contaminants, including lead, mercury and certain pesticides. PUR Faucet Filtration systems reduce more contaminants than any other brand.*
- EASY TO ATTACH – The faucet mounted water filter is easy to attach and no tools are required. Compatible with most faucets, but will not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets.
Although your apartment tap water may look clean, lead and other contaminants can get into your water through old peeling lead service lines. Therefore you can install the PUR Faucet Mount Filter system for cleaner and great-tasting water. These filters are NSF and WQA certified to reduce over 70 contaminants, including lead, mercury, and certain pesticides.
PUR’s faucet filtration system with MineralClear filter is certified to reduce lead and other contaminants. When shopping for water filter replacements, ensure you use a genuine PUR Filter. Additionally, using a PUR water filtration system can reduce plastic waste and is more affordable than bottled water, helping you save money.
Moreover, each replacement water filter provides 100 gallons of filtered water or 3 months of typical use.
- It is easy to install
- It is a certified water filter that reduces contaminants such as lead, mercury, and pesticides
- Faucet water filtration
- It has a LED light that indicates when the filter needs replacing
- They will not work with pull-out or hand-held faucets
- It lasts for up to 100 gallons of filtered water or up to 3 months of use
Brita 35214 01101001414 Water Faucet Filtration System
- Basic Brita faucet water filter attaches to your standard faucet making tap water cleaner and great-tasting; filtration system is easy to install; no tools required
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1800 single-use water bottles per year
- The space efficient design attaches directly to your faucet giving you the choice of filtered or unfiltered water. Available in white and chrome color with a filter indicator for easy replacement reminders. Height 5.28\"; Width 4.8\"; Depth 2.26\"; Weight .84 pounds
Brita On Tap Faucet Water Filtration System filters out odors and impurities for healthier, great-tasting water. This basic faucet mount removes 99% of lead and reduces chlorine, contributing to foul taste and smell. It also removes asbestos contaminants commonly found in tap water.
Additionally, it has an extra layer to trap sediments and smaller contaminates. It can provide up to 100 gallons of filtered tap water, replacing bottled water, which cuts down on waste and saves money. This certified Brita water filter system attaches directly to standard faucets in simple steps.
It also includes a built-in filter indicator to signal the need for replacement after approximately 100 gallons or 4 months. However, it does not fit pull-out or spray style faucets.
- It attaches easily to your apartment or home faucet
- You can save money by replacing single-use water bottles
- It offers a great design giving the option of filtered and unfiltered water
- It has a filter indicator for easy replacement reminders
- Reduces 99% of lead, chlorine, and other contaminants
- Not compatible with pull-out or spray style faucets
Soma Pitcher Plant-based Water Filtration
- New, improved filter reduces chlorine, mercury, copper and more
- Holds 10 glasses (80oz) of fresh filtered water
- Pitcher made of shatter-proof, BPA-free plastic
The soma pitcher is designed to look stunning on your table and fit perfectly in your fridge. The pitcher holds 10-cups of clear, refreshing filtered water and is made of shatterproof, BPA-free plastic and a white oak handle. It also removes heavy metals like mercury, in addition to chlorine.
It is made from 60% plant-based and renewable materials, which means a lower carbon footprint. Moreover, it is thoughtfully designed, from the easy-to-grasp white oak handle to its compact fridge friendly size.
- It has an improved filter that reduces chlorine and other contaminants
- The pitcher holds 10 glasses of fresh filtered water
- The pitcher is made of shatter-proof, BPA-free plastic
- The lid door opens automatically for easy filling
- It has a wooden handle that improves on the design
- The lid might get stuck when wet
- It is only suitable for small amounts of water
APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Essence Series Top Tier
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered, and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health.
- Only technology to remove up to 99% of contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, as well as toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, nitrates, heavy metals and 1000+ contaminants. Max Total Dissolved Solids - 2000 ppm. Feed Water Pressure 40-85 psi
- WQA Certified System. Premium long-lasting filters used to treat tap water, well water. Provide unlimited clean, refreshing crisp tasting water superior to bottled water
The ROES-50 reverse osmosis system is tested and certified to the industry’s highest standard- WQA gold seal. It delivers the highest quality clean and filtered drinking water at an affordable price. The complete 5-stage water filter system is made from high caliber components to offer exceptional contaminant rejection rates and long-lasting, reliable performance.
It is designed as an under-the-sink system, engineered, and assembled in the USA by leading reverse osmosis manufacturer APEC Water Systems. It is an affordable workhorse with a proven lineage of success in water filtration. Additionally, it removes up to 99% of all contaminants, such as chlorine, taste, odor, toxic fluoride, arsenic, and chromium.
Therefore, it is an efficient and productive system that will provide you with trouble-free, high-quality drinking water for an extended period.
- It is made of supreme quality that guarantees water safety
- It removes up to 99% of contaminants
- It contains premium long-lasting filters
- Guarantees a noise-free system
- Comes with a 2-year manufacturer warranty
- Contains industry’s best instructions and DIY videos
- The system has high-quality, leak-free quick-connect fittings
- It takes up a lot of space under the sink
The Stainless Steel Countertop Water Purifier Filter (10 Micron Carbon Block)
- UNSURPASSED PERFORMANCE - Effectively removes 97% of Chlorine, Class I Particulates, bad taste and odor, VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), and radon.
- REFRESHING WATER DIRECT FROM YOUR TAP - Simple one-step installation of our stylish on tap water filter diverter valve.
- LONG LASTING 1,000 GALLON FILTER - Conveniently delivers up to 1000 gallons of healthy clean water with a filtration accuracy of 0.01~0.1um.
This Countertop Water Filter delivers a fast, efficient filtering experience with its long-lasting 10 Micron Carbon Block Filter Cartridge. In addition to an extended life, it is unsurpassed at removing chlorine, sediment, taste and odor, and organic contaminants. Due to its highly molded structure, it eliminates carbon fines release, channeling, and bypass.
It produces water that is perfect for drinking, cooking, and cleaning. It is stylish and strong due to its heavy-duty stainless steel housing. The 3/4 inch full port spout allows the fast flow of filtered water.
The on tap water filter fits right onto your existing tap, making it easy to install the diverter valve. It has a filter wrench that makes it easy to replace the cartridges and is easy to clean.
It also contains a 10-micron carbon block cartridge that ensures a 97% Chlorine reduction, Class I Particulate Reduction of dirt and sand, and a 5 GPM Flow, which you should change once a year, or after filtration of every 1000 gallons.
- It ensures the removal of 97% of chlorine, Class I Particulates, and radon
- Offers refreshing water direct from your apartment
- It has a one-step installation of the filter diverter valve
- It has a 1,000-gallon filter with a 0.01~0.1umfiltration accuracy
- It makes it easy to use filtered water for cooking
- A complete 30-day money-back guarantee backs every unit
- Some say the filter causes the faucet to drip
Waterdrop 10UB Under Sink Water Filter System, with Dedicated Faucet
- 【Innovative multistage filtration】The Waterdrop Direct Connect Undersink Water Filtration System uses innovative multistage filtration. And it can effectively reduces heavy metals, chemical pollutants, sediment and other large particles. Enjoy healthy and pure water straight from your tap – no need to buy bottled water anymore!
- 【NSF certified filter】Specially selected premium materials are lead-free, which is fully certified by the WQA against NSF 372 standard. Activated carbon block and other advanced filter media ensure efficient and safe filtration. KDF effectively keep filter sanitary.Tested against NSF 42 standards, it effectively reduces chlorine, taste and odor. The BPA-free, lead-free material ensures more reliable use from the inside out.
- 【Premium dedicated faucet】The undersink water filtration system comes with a lead-free brushed stainless steel faucet. For separate faucet you already have, WD-15UC system ( Search ASIN: B085G9T9TB ) would be a better choice if you want to install it to the separate faucet you already have.
This is among the best water filter for rental apartments. It uses innovative multistage filtration, effectively reducing heavy metals, chemical pollutants, sediment, and other large particles. You need not buy bottled water anymore since you will enjoy healthy and pure water straight from your tap.
Activated carbon block and other advanced filter media ensure efficient and safe filtration. Tested against NSF 42 standards, it effectively reduces chlorine, taste, and odor. The BPA-free, lead-free material provides more reliable use from the inside out.
The under-sink water filtration system comes with a lead-free brushed stainless steel faucet. For the separate tap you already have, the WD-15UC system ( Search ASIN: B085G9T9TB ) would be a better choice if you want to install it to the particular faucet you already have. This system should be connected only to a cold water supply.
- Installation takes less than 3 minutes
- It delivers a fast flow rate
- It provides pure and freshwater that tastes like spring water
- Can be installed in your kitchen, RV, or office to meet your daily water needs.
- It reduces harmful pollutants while retains natural minerals
- Total dissolved solids are not eliminated
Brita Metro Water Filter Pitcher
- The slim, BPA-free Metro water pitcher with filter holds 5 cups of water, enough to fill 2 24-ounce reusable water bottles
- Get great-tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles a year
- This space efficient Brita pitcher fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves, features an easy-fill locking lid and is easy to pour; Height 9.8\"; Width 4.45\"; Length/Depth 9.37\"; Weight 1.39 pounds
Drink healthier, great-tasting tap water with this BPA-free Brita 5 cup water pitcher. With the advanced filter technology, Brita cuts the taste and odor of chlorine to deliver great-tasting water and is certified to reduce copper, cadmium, and mercury impurities, which can adversely affect your health over time.
This pitcher is ergonomically designed with a flip-top lid. It makes refilling easy and an electronic filter indicator that lets you know when to change the Brita replacement filter. The small pitcher comes with 1 water filter, which should be changed every 40 gallons or about 2 months for best results.
- It holds 5 cups of water
- Get great-tasting water without the waste
- It is a space-efficient pitcher that fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves
- Features an easy-fill locking lid
- It reduces chlorine (taste and odor), Mercury, Copper, Zinc, and Cadmium
- Includes water quality meter
- It only removes chlorine and certain metals such as copper
- The filters are said not to last long
Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter with 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements
- 2.25 GALLON CAPACITY- The portable Big Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 1-4 people each day. Add additional Black Berkey Purification Elements (the Big Berkey System can hold a maximum of four) to increase the flow rate. The system is just 19.25” tall and 8.5” in diameter.
- POWERFUL PURIFICATION- Berkey systems equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements purify water—not just filter it—by removing greater than 99.999% of viruses and greater than 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria, while also removing or dramatically reducing protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium), trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, heavy metals (including arsenic, lead, mercury, chromium), pharmaceutical drugs (including caffeine, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Progesterone, Triclosan),
- ECONOMICAL, LONG-LASTING- A pair of Black Berkey Purification Elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before needing replacement. Each additional pair of elements (sold separately) adds an additional 6,000 gallons of purification power to your system. Black Berkey Purification Elements average just 2 cents per gallon of purified water.
This system is equipped with Black Berkey purification elements to purify water and not just filter it. It reduces up to 99.999% of viruses and pathogenic bacteria while also or dramatically reducing other contaminants. They include protozoa, trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, pesticides, VOCs, petroleum products, perfluorinated chemicals, rust, silt, and sediment.
Berkey systems are convenient for people mainly facing the harshest conditions every day hence having purification elements that have a long lifespan of up to 6,000 gallons per pair.
You can add the filter elements to speed up the flow rate.
- It carries a 2.25 gallon capacity of water
- It has a purification system that removes 99% of viruses and other contaminants
- It is economical and long-lasting
- Berkey offers independent third party testing
- It can be used by people facing the harshest conditions
- The system requires no electricity or tools to function
- Berkey purification elements can be added to increase the filter-rate
- Serious consequences occur in case of miscalculations
- Unaware customers might purchase filters claiming to be compatible
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle with 2-Stage Integrated Filter Straw
- Sport Type: Multi-Sport
The Lifestraw water filter bottle contains a microfiltration membrane that is attached to the straw. It has hollow fiber membranes with microscopic pores size 0.2 micron to trap parasites, microplastics, and bacteria. Dirty water enters the bottles, and clear, purified water comes out when you suck through the straw.
The filter membrane lasts up to 4,000 liters of water before replacing it. The straw’s top is fitted with an activated carbon filter that adsorbs contaminants to reduce chlorine, organic chemicals, and bad tastes.
This filter lasts for up to 25 gallons or 100 liters that is changed after every 3 months.
- Contains reusable Lifestraw filter
- The hollow fiber membrane water filter removes bacteria and protozoa
- Activated carbon filter reduces odor and leaves zero aftertaste
- Removes 99% of waterborne bacteria, and parasites
- Durable replacement filters available separately
- It has a leak-proof design
- It has a comfortable silicone mouthpiece
- It is sturdily built
- The water filter needs constant cleaning
- The bottle carries small amounts of water
Factors to Consider when Buying the Best Water Filter
The quality of your water supply will suggest how many stages of purification would go in the process so that you can get the best clean water to drink and cook in your home. Therefore, for better-tasting water, consider buying a water filter that suits your needs.
1. Water Quality
The water supplied to your home is hard water, which means your home water has a high TDS amount. Total dissolved solids in water contain inorganic salts such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, bicarbonates, chlorides, and sulfates. The best water filter to get rid of these inorganic compounds is a reverse-osmosis system.
This system’s membrane pore size is .0005 micron, making it impossible for the dissolved solids to exist in your drinking water.
Due to the increase of factories and city infrastructure growth, metals are now found in water. Contaminated water contains heavy metals such as arsenic, magnesium, copper, and iron, and they can be toxic if taken in large amounts.
In reverse osmosis, the dissolved and suspended impurities get reduced; hence, it is advisable to choose an RO system. There are also some RO systems with mineral cartridges for areas with high TDS content.
3. Water Pressure
Incoming water supply flow determines which filter you should get. A reverse osmosis system would work best with high water pressure. Water pressure is dependent on the elevation of your building and other factors like blocked pipes and clogged filters.
Water filters generally need a pressure of 5-40 pounds per square inch (PSI). A booster pump can also be attached to an RO system if the water supply in your home has less water pressure. Otherwise, you could go for an activated carbon purifier if your water supply has less TDS.
4. Electric Energy
Many water filters do not work without electricity, and they are useful for homes with bad power shortages. An RO system would not work without electricity as it uses electric power to provide enough water pressure for the RO membrane.
Activated carbon purifiers don’t require electricity, just like sediment filters and ultra-filters. While the RO system removes TDS and bacteria that cause water-borne diseases, the non-electric water filters can only eliminate some of the chemicals dissolved in water, along with germs and sand. It is advisable to opt for water purifiers that run on electricity.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I get filtered water in my apartment?
Being a renter should not force you to drink contaminated water. Therefore, consider buying countertop water filters or faucet fitting filters.
2. Which water filter removes the most contaminants?
Reverse osmosis filter systems are some of the most robust, most effective filters for drinking water. They are known to remove more than 99% of the most dangerous contaminants in the water. That includes heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides, chlorine, and other chemicals.
3. Why is Berkey banned in California?
It is permitted to sell outdoor Berkey Water Filter Systems to CA (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey). However, the other stainless systems cannot be shipped to California because they are listed as indoor filtration systems. California has other regulations that still affect some of the products.
4. Is Pur or Brita better?
The PUR filter removes more contaminants compared to the Brita filter. However, during a taste test and TDS tests, Brita performed notably better. If you have a more comprehensive range of contaminants you need to remove, PUR is the better choice, but for most consumers, Brita is better.
5. Is it okay to filter out water or drinks while traveling?
The Lifestraw water filter bottle, is suitable since it will work well with water only. It removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites.
6. Can the Lifestraw filter be hooked into a hydration bladder?
The LifeStraw filter does not have the right connections to hook inline into a hydration bladder. The LifeStraw Flex filter will fit inline in a hydration bladder.
7. How easy is it to clean the Berkey filter system, and how frequently does it need to be cleaned?
When the water compartment is empty, I unscrew the cartridge and rinse it off really well with plain water. I know it needs to be cleaned when the water starts coming out slower.
8. What is the difference between the older and newer version of the Soma pitcher, and can you use the same filter?
The pitcher and carafe use the same filter. There is an older and newer filter type, and both fit the carafe or pitcher! Soma is great on interchangeability.
9. How much do the replacement filters?
Filter cost is a thing to consider. A water filtration system is only as good as its filters, so be sure to factor them in, including price, availability, and how often they need to be replaced when deciding on your filtration system.