What is the Best Water Filter to Remove Glyphosate?
Glyphosate is a herbicide used to kill weeds, especially annual broadleaf weeds and grasses that compete with crops. People who breathed in spray mist from products containing glyphosate are likely to feel irritation in their nose and throat. Swallowing such products can cause increased saliva, burns in the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
The US EPA considers glyphosate as “not likely to be carcinogenic to humans.” The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic to humans. In 2019, an independent lab testing of water containing glyphosate was released by the director of CWCLabs. The test determined glyphosate’s effectiveness and its removal from water by various top-ranked water filter brands.
Three filter systems that achieved 100% glyphosate removal were; Big Berkey water purification system, Aqua Pail, and Zerowater pitcher.
Let’s get started on these best water filter to remove glyphosate from your water;
Big Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filter
- 2.25 GALLON CAPACITY- The portable Big Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water...
- POWERFUL PURIFICATION- Berkey systems equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements purify...
- ECONOMICAL, LONG-LASTING- A pair of Black Berkey Purification Elements lasts for up to 6,000...
The portable Big Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 1-4 people each day. It can hold a maximum of four additional water purification elements to increase the flow rate. The system is 19.25” tall and 8.5” in diameter.
It is equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements to purify water, not just filter it, by removing greater than 99.9% of viruses and 99.9% of pathogenic bacteria. It also removes or reduces protozoa, trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, herbicides such as glyphosate, heavy metals, and pharmaceutical drugs.
A pair of Black Berkey Purification Elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before needing replacement. Each additional pair of elements (sold separately) adds 6,000 gallons of purification power to your system.
Berkey by NMCL uses several independent third-party labs to test a broad range of potential contaminants and conduct Extreme Testing for lead and PFCs to show the Black Berkey Purification Elements’ effectiveness.
No electricity, tools, or plumbing are required. Travel the world, prepare for emergencies, and take control of your family’s everyday drinking water with your Berkey gravity-fed water filtration system with Black Berkey purification elements. Enjoy delicious, nourishing water from the leader in gravity-fed water solutions.
- It has a 2.25-gallon capacity
- You can add additional water filters to increase the flow rate
- It has powerful purification elements
- It removes 99.9% of viruses and pathogenic bacteria
- It reduces protozoa, inorganic minerals, any pesticide, and herbicides such as glyphosate
- It is economical and has long-lasting filters
- It uses several independent third-party lab tests
- No electricity, tools, or plumbing required
- The topwater tank never fully empties due to the design of the black filters
- It is quite pricy
2. ZeroWater ZD-018 ZD018
- The Only Pour Through Filter NSF Certified to Reduce Lead, Chromium & PFOA/PFOS
- Premium 5-stage filtration removes 99.6% of all dissolved solids for the purest tasting water
- Estimated 20 gallon Filter Life (filter life can vary depending on water quality)
It is a 23 Cup water dispenser with a slim tank and no-drip spigot. ZeroWater’s filtered water dispenser is great for office or home use. Pour a glass of filtered, clean, tasty water while the reservoir keeps filtering. It also includes a water quality meter.
Unlike many water filters and pitchers, ZeroWater filters use five filtration stages to bring you clean, better-tasting water. Instead of carbon filtering only, our filters use Ion Exchange Technology to reduce contaminants.
Removes suspended solids such as dust and rust that make your water appear cloudy.
It removes additional suspended solids.
It removes organic contaminants such as Mercury, Chlorine, Chloramine, and herbicides such as glyphosate and any pesticide in your drinking water.
It removes inorganic compounds such as metals, nonmetals, and radiological contaminants.
Removes remaining suspended solids and holds the resin in place.
It purifies water in 5 stages which are NSF certified to reduce lead and other heavy metals. The filters are NSF Certified to remove chromium and lead. The pitchers, tumblers, and dispensers remove virtually all solids for the purest tasting water.
- It has a no-drip spigot
- It includes a water quality meter
- It uses five stages of filtration for safer drinking water
- It uses Ion Exchange Technology to reduce contaminants
- The filters are NSF certified to reduce lead and other heavy metals
- It removes 99.6 percent of total dissolved solids (TDS)
- It removes more impurities such as glyphosate or any pesticide from your water
- It has the only pour-through water filters that remove chromium and lead
- It does not remove bacteria
3. Epic Pure Water Filter Pitchers for Drinking Water
- Filtered water pitcher for refrigerator: This large water filtration pitcher for refrigerator...
- Fluoride water filters: Proprietary formulated carbon block water filter to remove fluoride....
- Tap water filter: Proprietary solid carbon block filter removes 2000% more contaminants than...
With the Epic Pure Water Filter Pitcher, you can drink with confidence, knowing that multiple independent labs have rigorously tested it for the removal of over 200+ known water contaminants. They include fluoride, heavy metals like lead & mercury, any pesticide, herbicides such as glyphosate, trace pharmaceuticals, and volatile organic compounds.
The space-efficient gravity water filter system-jug fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves and is great for families. It has a solid activated carbon block water purifier that will keep your family drinking clear and safe filtered water for years to come.
It is rigorously tested against NSF/ANSI standards 42, 53, 401, and P473. It has activated carbon systems designed to remove fluoride, chlorine, lead, PFOA PFOS PFC, Haloacetic acids, and 1,4-Dioxane in your drinking water.
It has a smart filter media that keeps healthy trace minerals like calcium and magnesium in your water, which a reverse osmosis system will strip out.
The Pure Pitcher also comes with a LED timer, which counts down from 90 days, integrated into the lid that reminds you when it is time to change the filter.
Each premium quality gravity-water filter produces 150 gallons of fresh, contaminant-free drinking water. It is BPA-free, 100% Approved Food Grade Materials, 100% Recyclable, and 100% Vegan.
- It comes with a LED timer
- It is BPA-free, recyclable, and 100% vegan
- It has a smart filter media that keeps healthy trace minerals
- It can remove glyphosate, fluoride, and other contaminants
- It is space-efficient to fit on your refrigerator shelves perfectly
- It does not remove parasitic cysts found in well water
What to Consider when Buying a Water Filter to Remove Glyphosate
Glyphosate is a herbicide used by farmers that can kill any weed. However, when it finds its way into your water sources, such as groundwater or well water, it becomes highly toxic and dangerous. It doesn’t degrade quickly, which is why it becomes a significant threat to health.
To avoid the risk, ensure you have a clue on what type of water filtration to buy. Let’s get started;
a. Removal of Contaminants
Ensure you get your water tested adequately in a certified lab to check what contaminants may be present and then decide which filtration system suits you the best. Most of them remove around 40 contaminants, while others remove as many as 60. If your water contains glyphosate, get a filter that removes them.
Activated Carbon can expel organic compounds, chlorine and THMs, and most of the parasites from water. As for nitrates, sulfates, arsenic, and heavy metals, you will need to get reverse osmosis or UV filter systems.
b. The Filtration Rate
If your daily drinking water consumption outweighs the maximum gallons of water produced by your system, it is not right for you.
Different filters available in the market differ significantly in their maximum filtration rate. It is essential to get one that meets or exceeds your usage slightly. So, start by getting a good idea of how much drinking water you need daily and select your filter accordingly.
c. The Quality of Water
Look out for a filtration system that removes several unwanted impurities but also eliminates healthy minerals. Ensure it also removes foul odors and tastes.
In case your water does not contain very harmful contaminants in a non-negligible amount, you might want to go with active carbon filters that preserve minerals.
d. The Overall cost
The cost of a filter is determined by many factors, including the number of stages applied to process water, filtration rate, and storage capacity. You will have to replace your cartridges, so make sure you know how much they cost.
Keep in mind that filters may appear expensive when you first buy them but might prove to be cheaper in the long run.
e. Ease in Maintenance
Ensure you consult your manufacturer guide to determine how often you need to replace your cartridges and always replace them in time. Avoid those that require frequent cartridge change.
To ensure that your filter keeps working efficiently, you will need to take proper care of it. Keeping your filter in excellent working condition is essential to ensure you get pure, healthy water.
Failing to consider other factors apart from the fundamental function of making water pure and healthy drinking water might make you regret your choice later.
Before taking a sip of your drinking water, look up the contaminants on the research on cancer websites and compare them with those in your tap water.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you filter glyphosate out of drinking water?
The best way to ensure the water you drink is free from potentially harmful glyphosate is to filter it with a good-quality system. The chemical is probably carcinogenic since the international agency for research lists it.
2. How do you remove glyphosate from water?
The oxidation results indicate that glyphosate is easily destroyed by chlorine and ozone. Chlorine dioxide, permanganate, and hydrogen peroxide are less successful pilot-scale studies that confirm these conventional-treatment and adsorption results.
3. Do water filters remove PFOS?
NSF International, a testing and certification company, developed a certification standard for removing PFOS and PFOA in 2016. The certification requires that the filter reduce these two chemicals only to EPA’s health advisory level of 70 ppt.
4. Does ZeroWater remove glyphosate?
Independent tests have also shown zero water, among other things, can filter glyphosate from your drinking water. The filtered water not only tastes better, but it also contains much less harmful substances.
5. Can you wash off glyphosate?
Glyphosate, a toxic herbicide sprayed on hundreds of U.S crops in large farms, cannot be removed through washing or cooking.